Back

2015 JLPT N2-N1 Thread

(2016-02-08, 1:52 pm)FlameseeK Wrote: Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Unfortunately, these are also way out of my league as of now. I just hear a whole lot of meaningless Japanese - even when I'm able to recognize words, they don't really make any sense in the grand scheme of things. They're almost as alien as seeing kanji you're familiar with... in Chinese.

Then it's probably better for the time being to work with things you have transcripts for - TV shows, NHK articles with video clips, books like READ REAL JAPANESE, L/R resources in the Bonaparte thread (http://forum.koohii.com/thread-6840.html), etc. That and real life convo - e.g., iTalki lessons - will go a long way in both building your vocab and training your ear.
(2016-02-08, 1:52 pm)FlameseeK Wrote: Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Unfortunately, these are also way out of my league as of now. I just hear a whole lot of meaningless Japanese - even when I'm able to recognize words, they don't really make any sense in the grand scheme of things. They're almost as alien as seeing kanji you're familiar with... in Chinese.

I get the feeling I'll need to finish Tobira at the very least in order to get something out of this. Maybe even N2?

that's also an important step with JLPT. be realistic with your skills. you can't go into N1 just by sheer will and magical thinking Angel
(2016-02-09, 9:14 am)angelneko Wrote:

I get the feeling I'll need to finish Tobira at the very least in order to get something out of this. Maybe even N2?

that's also an important step with JLPT. be realistic with your skills. you can't go into N1 just by sheer will and magical thinking Angel

You can, just doesn't mean you will pass. 

I took N1 for shit 'n giggles this December after just passing N2 a couple months before that and it was a pretty interesting experience. I went from 134/180 on N2 to 88/180 on N1 without too much studying (about 20-40 hours between the two tests). I wouldn't take it all too seriously if you don't need the certificate for anything. Just study as much as you can and see where you end up.
Breakthrough Sale: Get 28% OFF Basic or Premium!   Click here: BREAKTHROUGH2017
JapanesePod101
I passed N2! Big Grin

言語知識: 43/60
読解: 48/60
聴解: 46/60
総合得点: 137/180

文字・語彙A
文法A

I've consciously avoided studying/reading to target the JLPT in particular, since I'd rather do things that are fun and I didn't actually need it for anything, but I took some random level placement quiz last year and it looked like I could probably pass it so I signed up anyway. Studied for a couple weeks in December to be sure.

Now I wonder if I should try N1.
Edited: 2016-02-19, 11:17 pm
Another month, another N1 mock test: vocab 80% grammar 90% reading 96% listening 83%. I think my grammar scores are moving up a bit but mostly I suspect the noise of whether I get lucky with the random guesses is enough to cover any minor changes. Still, practice in actually concentrating for three hours is useful I guess.
@pm215 When do you plan on taking N1? I'm sure you'll be able to pass with those scores.

I've been flipflopping about taking N1 for the past few months, but I think I decided this week that I'm going to take it just to take it. Nothing to lose (besides $60 of course). I plan on focusing on grammar, vocab, and listening until December. I feel like I have a decent shot at passing as long as I stay up on my Anki drills for my N1 deck (custom made one like the one I posted that I made for N2), and going through Shin Kanzen Master N1 for grammar practice. Also trying to incorporate more native speed podcasts into my life for listening, but sitting around for a half hour while paying attention to a podcast while not doing much of anything is very boring for me so I don't know about that one. Reading I feel pretty confident about, especially after starting through the Shin Kanzen Master N1 reading book and getting everything right so far. I sat around for an hour twiddling my thumbs when I took N2 so I don't think time is going to be much of an issue. I did the 言語知識 part of one mock test as a pre-studying gauge of skill and only managed a 57%-ish. I'm shooting for 60% minimum for all sections (just enough to feel like I could actually pass) but aiming for 70% or higher as my real goal.
Failed the N2 which I was kind of expecting. I knew it was a bit much for me but wanted to take a shot at it rather than settle for passing the N3 (although even that probably wasn't a guarantee with these results!). I guessed most of the reading section as it was simply too much to read in time for me. As a reference i've basically long since gone through Core6k and DBJG and a cursory glance at DIJG. I realise now that what you need to pass this test is speed more than anything else. And actually studying Smile

言語知識: 19/60
読解: 8/60
聴解: 27/60
総合得点: 54/180
(2016-02-20, 4:42 pm)zx573 Wrote: @pm215 When do you plan on taking N1? I'm sure you'll be able to pass with those scores.
Going for the July test; as you say it's looking like a fairly comfortable pass at the moment but I might as well see where I can push the numbers up a bit.
Quote:Also trying to incorporate more native speed podcasts into my life for listening, but sitting around for a half hour while paying attention to a podcast while not doing much of anything is very boring for me so I don't know about that one.
What works for me is having something that's not mentally demanding to keep my hands occupied while I'm listening -- cross stitch in my case; knitting would work too.
(2016-02-21, 6:05 am)pm215 Wrote: Going for the July test; as you say it's looking like a fairly comfortable pass at the moment but I might as well see where I can push the numbers up a bit.
July? You've still got enough time that I'm sure you'd be able to bump it up a little bit. Good luck! Big Grin

(2016-02-21, 6:05 am)pm215 Wrote: What works for me is having something that's not mentally demanding to keep my hands occupied while I'm listening -- cross stitch in my case; knitting would work too.
That might work. I'll need to find something I can do that isn't too mentally demanding and give it a shot. I still have that Living Japanese DVD full of interviews that I need to work through so that might help too.
SOAS finally got their online application form up for the London July 2016 JLPT. NB that they say "The official closure date of the application in the UK is 8th April. However we are likely to close earlier than the official date", so anybody else planning to take the test in London should probably sign up and pay ASAP...
Been a few months since anyone's posted. How's everyone's preparations going? Going for N1 again in July. Almost done with Shin Kanzen Master Grammar, and then going to focus on reading comprehension. I'm thinking starting in July I'll take a practice test every week leading up to the exam.
I'm aiming for N1 in December. I'm reviewing Shinkanzen occasionally, but honestly, most of my studying isn't targeting the test directly. I'm mainly reading books (fiction as well as more JLPT-ish essay type content), and writing every day (by hand) in a journal to help buttress my knowledge of kanji.
It might be time to start a 2016 thread. Or rename this one to 2015-2016.
(2016-05-12, 8:34 am)Vempele Wrote: It might be time to start a 2016 thread. Or rename this one to 2015-2016.

Done and done: http://forum.koohii.com/thread-13731.html