Back

Is there a term for Kanji with only one reading?

Some Kanji have exactly one reading. Is there a term for such kanji?
tehfriendlyghost Wrote:Some Kanji have exactly one reading. Is there a term for such kanji?
Ummm...a "one-reading kanji"? Smile
Edited: 2015-02-17, 9:19 am
If you're trying to google for it, then try「読み方が一つしかない漢字」. I'm not aware of a specific word to describe such kanji though.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
The only kanji that fill that description are a handful of 国字; I don't think there are enough of them to justify a specific term. (Note that the Joyo List often gives only one reading for a kanji because that's the only one that's used in modern Japanese, not because it's the only one the kanji has ever had. All kanji, other than 国字, should in theory have at least 2 readings, even if some of them are rare.)
Hmm, but there are also Kanji with only one on-yomi.
tehfriendlyghost Wrote:Hmm, but there are also Kanji with only one on-yomi.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean; can you give an example?
For example, 液 has only one reading (エキ), which is an on'yomi (Sino-Japanese reading). Since it has an on'yomi reading, it's not a 国字 (Japanese-made Kanji), as 国字 have only kun'yomi (Japanese reading) and never an on'yomi (which comes from China).

http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%B6%B2
Edited: 2015-02-18, 5:06 pm
tehfriendlyghost Wrote:and never an on'yomi (which comes from China).
Some counterexamples: 働, 塀.
Edited: 2015-02-18, 5:27 pm
tehfriendlyghost Wrote:For example, 液 has only one reading (エキ), which is an on'yomi (Sino-Japanese reading). Since it has an on'yomi reading, it's not a 国字 (Japanese-made Kanji), as 国字 have only kun'yomi (Japanese reading) and never an on'yomi (which comes from China).

液 has only one Joyo-approved reading, which is the on-yomi エキ. If you look at larger Japanese dictionaries they will give you more, although most of them are obsolete or rare. My 新漢語林 has four on-yomi for 液, although it doesn't give any examples of words using the other three. It gives several kun-yomi, but doesn't give any information about when they might be used. The dictionary associated with the Kanji Kentei exam has two kun-yomi, しる and わき (both of which are in the 新漢語林). The Koujien dictionary, under the word つゆ, lists both 液 and 汁 as possible kanji that could be used to write the word.
Edited: 2015-02-18, 6:11 pm
Oh wow, I didn't know that some 国字 got adapted by China.
I don't think that China actually uses them, they just got assigned on-yomi in Japan because people wanted to make compounds with them. There are even a few 国字 that only have on-yomi (according to Wikipedia).
(2015-02-18, 5:04 pm)tehfriendlyghost Wrote: For example, 液 has only one reading (エキ), which is an on'yomi (Sino-Japanese reading). Since it has an on'yomi reading, it's not a 国字 (Japanese-made Kanji), as 国字 have only kun'yomi (Japanese reading) and never an on'yomi (which comes from China).

well,  (liquid) has 3 readings thou:
1) 呉音 (goon) is ヤク (yaku)
2) 漢音 (kan'on) is エキ (eki)
3) 読み (kun'yomi) is しる (shiru)