Back

What age are you?

I thought it'd be interesting to see what age everyone is and see the youngest and oldest members.

I'm sure this has come up before but it will be interesting to get a cross-section of the age of the members at this time, we could even get a lovely graph generated.

Age, how long you've been doing Heisig & frame number you're currently at, I'll go first.

5 months
frame 1800
26 years old
20 months
long since finished
4 months stopped a few years ago
1.5 months stopped fall '06
started again w/RevtK May 07
finished a few months ago, on into RTK3
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
21 years old
5 months
Frame 1500 or so (got up to over 1600, but didn't review and have all but forgotten them)

Had a two month break. Was at around 1300-1350 during the first week of december, but then went to Japan for a month and had no internet and was switching over to anki (so I had to redo 1300 cards) so I fell behind. Since school started up I just didn't make the time for it. I'm trying to finish again now though. I want this done before the next term!
On and off for more than 3 years now, only been serious about it since around November '07. Planning to finish by March 15th.
Frame 1719
I'm new here so Hi!

I'm 39
I've been working with Heisig for two days now and I just finished frame 34.
about 7 months on and off
Frame 1600

I have a theory that the largest group of users are in their late twenties with the second largest group being in their mid twenties. I think this is mainly due to the introduction of Japanese pop culture into the West through video games in the late 80's, early '90s, and in later years, the explosive popularity of anime and manga.
Really interesting numbers so far, I'm still the youngest yet.

Despite my young age it wasn't anime or manga that brought me to Japanese it was me looking for something to complement my Computer Science studies so maybe I'll have a better chance of getting a good job after graduating that and I wanted to know what all those Pizzicato five records I had were saying Smile
meolox Wrote:Really interesting numbers so far, I'm still the youngest yet.
18 and 1 month. Have I beaten you? Tongue

Took me 4-5 months to finish RtKV1.

There are a good few reasons why learning Japanese has pretty much become my life dream. Sadly the likes of video games and manga are a big factor in that, but also, ever since I used to have some weird obsession with the orient from very young... like that side of the world has been calling out to me.

In truth, the winding roof eaves, the masks, the 'strange' music etc. always used to freak me out... and I used to love that for some reason.
Dragg Wrote:I have a theory that the largest group of users are in their late twenties with the second largest group being in their mid twenties. I think this is mainly due to the introduction of Japanese pop culture into the West through video games in the late 80's, early '90s, and in later years, the explosive popularity of anime and manga.
A lot of young people would be too lazy to do it too probably. And most people in college don't want more work on top of their class load.
Virtua_Leaf Wrote:
meolox Wrote:Really interesting numbers so far, I'm still the youngest yet.
18 and 1 month. Have I beaten you? Tongue
Sorry, 18 and 10 months Smile....ignore this

EDIT: d'oh i just realised virtua that makes you younger, I'm an idiot don't know why I did that Rolleyes

sutebun Wrote:A lot of young people would be too lazy to do it too probably. And most people in college don't want more work on top of their class load.
I'm at university so balancing study of both is difficult and believe me I'm as lazy as they come but I somehow still got this far, it doesn't take much effort.
Edited: 2008-02-21, 5:51 pm
Almost 57.
4 months.
Frame 1175, except as of February 1st when I - overconfidently, I guess - bought a flight to Osaka for March 1st (to stay 2 months). My imaginative memory and recall have all but deserted me, for kanji learning at least. In fact, I should start a topic "crisis management and RTK". So many unexpected problems with the trip arrangements.

Patricia
7 months on and off
frame 973

Sadly, I've been influenced by music and drama, too. I currently do fansubbing (drama) and RTK has helped me a lot. (I use to take hours just trying to figure out signs, but now I can easily look them up through radicals/primitives) But the series I'm translating right now is boring me...
Finished RTK1 in about 6 months... about a year ago.
Slowly working through RTK2... frame 1177...
25 years old here
less than 2 months
frame 400 and growing.

Started it in July last summer, plowed through my first reviews of all 2042 by early September. I reviewed until early October, then went to Japan for 5 weeks, and killed my PDA with all of my reviews on it. I got back, totally exhausted, and finally restarted again in mid-January. I'm back to 1377 (well, when I add them later today.) 1332 with at least one review. I'm using the RvTK site now, because I don't want to have my data nuked again.

Oh and pat-- use the Welcome Inn service if you're trying to save money on lodgings. Cheap hotels (not always the best or swankest), but they're usually able to get you something even when everyone else says nothing's available. They even got me rooms in Kyoto in late October when everything else was booked up. They also have a desk at Kyoto Station (on the 10th floor of Isetan, IIRC) so you can pester them there.
- About 6 months total, not including two breaks of 1 month & a dangerous 2 months, the second one during which I developed the first version of RevTK
- Finished RtK1 in January 2006

I am not good at long time planning:
started august 2006-oktober 2006
continued november-december 2007
all the time in between I have been occasionally reviewing or shamefully neglecting

stuck at frame 1820
studying for 2級
Interesting. I began studying Japanese to help complement my martial arts studies. I currently study iaido and karatedo and most of the books that I want to read are in Japanese; however, I have come to find Japanese studying a much more fulfilling pursuit that I would have ever imagined.
just turned 23

finished rtk1 dec. 2007 in ~7 months

still in college Sad
23... turn 24 next month.
Started Heisig mid-December... so about 2 months. I've been studying Japanese for about 5 years now, though.
Frame 918 at the moment. That'll change in a bit if I get around to studying Big Grin Hoping to be finished with adding new cards by the end of next month.
An interesting topic!

26, 27 soon.

Finished RTK Vol 1 in January 08 (kinda, have a big missed pile)
Took 6.5 months
Wow, the members here are a lot older than I thought they were. I guess I'm just used to assuming the internet is filled with teens to early twenties.

I tried RTK out in 7th and 8th grade, but it didn't go too well. Picked it up again last September.

I finished a few weeks ago, I'll probably start RTK3 in a little bit.
Edited: 2008-02-21, 8:59 pm
Popular thread, eh.

Finished 2 1/2 years ago, took me 3-4 months.
I take the cake at 15.
Five days as of now.

First post too!