Back

What age are you?

I'm 31 and have been going since December 26th, 2007.

So it's been about seven weeks, and in another week I'll finish, I'm up to frame 1576.
25, did the first 500 kanji in Heisig about 2 years ago but gave up due to lack of this site or an SRS. Meaning to pick it up again one day. Right after the next Anki bugfix .. and the next .. and the next.
1 year
Frame 1350 (about).
Quite slow going but I have so many other things on as well. Better to know a little well than lots vaguely in my opinion.

How about gender? It is often said that females are better at spraking languages than males but how bout the written form?

Well done to anybody who is doing this at such a young age. If you can read Japanese before you are 20 then you are onto such a great thing, excellent to hear.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
23. I finished RTK last month (started in September) and my failed deck is becoming more and more manageable by the day.
discovered Heisig four months ago.
Finished RTK1 and slowly moving into RTK3.
almost 27
With the help of this site, I finished RTK1 December 2007 (after about 6 months).
49yo
Had a false start last year, went to Japan for a holiday, came back and started again at new year, so about 2 months
Up to frame 542

It's great reading basic Japanese now and already recognising kanji I know. They look like old friends instead of just squiggles.
Wow, this thread demonstrates a real apetite that people have to learn more about each other. Perhaps some additional fields in the profile would be good...?

I'm 25.
Started Heisig in 2005 I think.
It took me over a year to finish it since I took a few breaks to deal with the JLPT and other things. I'm still heavily involved with RTK1 related study today (Japanese keywords).
Age 28.

It took just over 3 months total, but with a 1 year break in the middle.

I finished on the last day of 2007. I now average 25 reviews per day, and I have 98% of RTK1 kanji at a review interval of 3 weeks or higher with an average overall interval of 100 days.
Edited: 2008-02-22, 6:13 am
I'm 8 years old. I love all things Japanese, I love programming, I hate my doll and ... I have a wife and 2 kids. Damn, what is this picture still doing on the forums? No Guinness records for me (just Guinness, please).

So I'm 35, Sign of the Cow, lame, lame. Started in Nov. '06, tapered off in March, restarted from scratch on Dec. 1st and am now at 2010. Could finish any minute, but I have this awe inspiring plan to finish at a really special date, like Feb. 29th (at 25:00). Not too many of those in a lifetime, right?
Started: With flash cards in Feb 07, with RevTK (and 300 cards) in June 07.
Finished: Stories in Nov 07, 90% in box 4+ in Jan 08 (my own standard for being "finished" with RTK). Down to about 30 to 40 reviews a day for now.

Guess this is a good topic to see that any age can start into Kanji. We each have a variant on how we approached it due to outside issues.
Edited: 2008-02-22, 5:00 am
Goobert Wrote:I take the cake at 15.
Five days as of now.

First post too!
Ganbatte kudasai!!!

Frame 2025. This is third time I'm doing RTK, and I can say that third time’s the charm without hesitation.

I started in summer 2005 and done about 700 kanji. Then I had a year break and second time I had to start almost from a scratch. I learned up to frame 1600, but duo to lack of effective reviewing system got discouraged and stopped once more Sad

Last summer I decided to try one more time. I found this magnificent site, and only thanks to it I'm almost finished.

~ on and off 2.5 year.
I'm 40.

Started RTK in July 2004. I've stopped and restarted at least 4 times now.

My high-water mark was frame 1151. Currently back around 450.
I'm 25.

I started RTK 3 weeks ago and I'm up to the 750ish mark.
I will have to slow down though, as I start my new job next week.
I'm 18,
been studying since january 16th currently on frame 1090.
Hoping to finish before my birthday on april first!

then its off for a year abroad in Japan from september!
2 months
Frame 565
昭和四十五年の生まれです (a trick to keep your age hidden from non-japanese minded people Wink )
Frame 2403

I began studying Japanese about one year ago. I spent 9 weeks on RTK1, finished in september. Last week I put my 2000th card into the fourth stack Big Grin. (nearly 1900 if only counting RTK1)
jondesousa Wrote:
Goobert Wrote:I take the cake at 15.
Five days as of now.

First post too!
Ganbatte kudasai!!!
Erm... Thanks!
Young whippersnappers! Why in my day we learned Sanskrit in 2 months, walking back and forth to school uphill both ways through the snow in our bare feet! Kids today...

Sorry. What were we talking about?

Oh, yeah. 52 yo, been doing RtK 6 months and am at frame 1895.
7 months
finished RTK1 about 2 years ago
dwhitman Wrote:Young whippersnappers! Why in my day we learned Sanskrit in 2 months, walking back and forth to school uphill both ways through the snow in our bare feet! Kids today...

Very good - really made me laugh (uphill both ways!), while at the same being completely true :-)

I'm 39 yo.
I'm 39
I've been RTKing for 15 months
And I just added frame 2548 (with 1981 from RTK1 in box 4)

Frame 1273, started in mid-November.
dwhitman Wrote:Young whippersnappers! Why in my day we learned Sanskrit in 2 months, walking back and forth to school uphill both ways through the snow in our bare feet! Kids today...

Very funny. I'm still wiping the tears away!

Chadokoro_K here.
I'm 49.

Started in on RTK 1 (for the third time) in Nov 2006 and finished mid-June 2007. I would have finished sooner but my studies got interrupted and I didn't do anything (not even review) for three months. I then spent a month going back through the first 1,400 stories again before finishing off the rest. So I guess I spent about four months on it all together this third time around. I had finished RTK 1 two times before (in the "salad days" waaaaay before RevTK) but didn't really put a lot into my stories -- and worse yet -- I didn't review. (Paper flash cards were such a drag!) I was also coming back to Japanese after eight plus years of not using it.

Moral of the story: Stick with it and just get through! (And then keep at it!)

I started in on RTK 3 and made it to frame #2279 before burning out on new kanji study. I'm now going through SRSing sentences from Kanji in Context instead, but I do plan on resuming RTK 3 at some point.

Oops, it looks like I couldn't follow the "moral of the story" for RTK 3.

Funny, I hear Dory from Finding Nemo sing "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." Smile