Back

POST TRANSLATIONS REQUESTS HERE

(2016-06-19, 2:09 pm)Roketzu Wrote:
(2016-06-19, 1:57 pm)Uchimata811 Wrote: 今古有神奉志士 In this order have these written on a sword given to me. However I have tried translation tools but it makes no sense when it's translated

This might help: http://lang-8.com/713038/journals/262505...3590265212
In this case, the translation of 志士 as "patriot" or "someone who would sacrifice his life for his country" might be more appropriate than "ambitious person".
Edited: 2016-07-22, 12:55 am
1 ここは俺の心の平穏のためにも幽霊でないということを暴かなくては。

2 相手は多分徒歩、尾行を悟らせつつ悟らせない、という絶妙な距離でいるからには、私の走りに対応出来るとも思えない

3 違いましたか? 僕はてっきり、 準一はわざとそういう人物とのみ 交流を広げていると思っていましたが」
Good day koohiizens,

So I'm having the hardest time trying to find the Japanese original of the following proverb:
One can stand still in a flowing stream, but not in a world of men.

I've tried paraphrasing it any way I could think of and googling it (in Japanese) but to no avail.

If someone knows anything about it that would be huge.

Thank you in advance.
Edited: 2016-08-14, 5:23 pm
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
(2016-08-14, 5:22 pm)EratiK Wrote: Good day koohiizens,

So I'm having the hardest time trying to find the Japanese original of the following proverb:
One can stand still in a flowing stream, but not in a world of men.

I've tried paraphrasing it any way I could think of and googling it (in Japanese) but to no avail.

If someone knows anything about it that would be huge.

Thank you in advance.
「川中には立てども人中に立たれず」 

辞書から消えたことわざ (角川SSC新書)
http://bookmeter.com/b/4047316342
I have a Japanese project due Monday.  I need help to translate all of this to Japanese, please help me! Exclamation   I'll be grateful  Smile
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome! my name is Damaris & this is my store. 
these shoes are really popular & they are also really comfortable. You can wear them for any kind of event either for a wedding, party, or church.  
There's a sale going on today where you buy a pair of shoes  and get 50% OFF with a purchase of $40 or more. But sales of this black shoes is for a limited time only.  ( until Monday) 
This shoes would look really great on you. You should buy them~ 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
we also sell clothes.  
These shirts right here are very comfortable to wear. Lately, they have been popular. People all over the world are buying them. This item is a really good quality.  
This shirt goes well with your skin color. ( Blue ) 
There's also a sale going on, but this time, only blue, white, & green shirts are for sale. They are 20% OFF. Sales  of this shirts are also for a limited time only ( Monday as well) 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
This is my business card for more information, it also includes the store's website. 
Thank you for shopping!
this is one of those things where i know all the words but i am struggling with the nuance.
it's not song lyrics but someone attempting deep conversation (but the meaning lost on me lol)

恋の夜明けの先は、何になるの?
Edited: 2016-11-19, 5:05 pm
(2016-11-19, 4:54 pm)angelneko Wrote: this is one of those things where i know all the words but i am struggling with the nuance.
it's not song lyrics but someone attempting deep conversation (but the meaning lost on me lol)

恋の夜明けの先は、何になるの?

What might happen after a romance begins?

Or keeping the flowery tone, 'Beyond the dawning of love, what may happen?'
Could someone help me here... i dont know if there is some flowery language im not getting  Blush
Thank you

せっかく縁があって出逢ったから、
君の味方でずっといられたらと思うよ!
(2016-11-24, 12:33 pm)angelneko Wrote: Could someone help me here... i dont know if there is some flowery language im not getting  Blush
Thank you

せっかく縁があって出逢ったから、
君の味方でずっといられたらと思うよ!

Nevermind think i got something:

We met by some crazy chance and now i hope to always be your friend!

(I looked up 縁 (えん) and it said "'en' is used in Japan as dynamically changing fateful social relationships on jobs or private lives. It has a good connotation like ‘luck’ in English basically. " )
Edited: 2016-11-24, 2:07 pm
(2016-11-24, 12:33 pm)angelneko Wrote: Could someone help me here... i dont know if there is some flowery language im not getting  Blush
Thank you

せっかく縁があって出逢ったから、
君の味方でずっといられたらと思うよ!

Way too curious not to ask ... what's the source?  Big Grin
(2016-11-24, 9:21 pm)tokyostyle Wrote:
Thank you

せっかく縁があって出逢ったから、
君の味方でずっといられたらと思うよ!

Way too curious not to ask ... what's the source?  Big Grin

conversation partner. all the more mysterious Wink
angelneko Wrote:this is one of those things where i know all the words but i am struggling with the nuance.
恋の夜明けの先は、何になるの?

Could someone help me here... i dont know if there is some flowery language im not getting  Blush
Thank you
せっかく縁があって出逢ったから、
君の味方でずっといられたらと思うよ!

conversation partner. all the more mysterious Wink

[Image: poster.jpg?1329231600]
Film Review: Before Sunrise | 夜明けの街で | 2011 | Setsuro Wakamatsu
http://www.isugoi.com/before-sunrise-review/
イチオシ Angel
heres something ive never seen and cant find anything on... has anyone seen the term ネット状 ?
Context:
いつもあなたからはネット状ではありますが元気貰ってます。
The whole sentence seems strange to me. I'm not sure if it makes sense.
(2016-12-13, 11:08 pm)angelneko Wrote: heres something ive never seen and cant find anything on... has anyone seen the term ネット状 ?
Context:

Perhaps it's just a typo: ネット上 (online).
"It may only be online, but you always manage to cheep me up." Or summin'. There's lots of google results that match.
(2016-12-14, 12:34 am)Sizen Wrote:
(2016-12-13, 11:08 pm)angelneko Wrote: heres something ive never seen and cant find anything on... has anyone seen the term ネット状 ?
Context:

Perhaps it's just a typo: ネット上 (online).
"It may only be online, but you always manage to cheer me up." 

He's right. The sentence is a bit odd for the misplaced modifier. It would be much better to write it like Sizen did in English:

ネット上ではありますが、あなたからはいつも元気貰ってます。
(2016-12-14, 12:07 am)HOW Wrote: The whole sentence seems strange to me. I'm not sure if it makes sense.

Idk a guitarist wrote it so maybe hes not good with words lol
(2016-12-14, 10:39 am)angelneko Wrote:
(2016-12-14, 12:07 am)HOW Wrote: The whole sentence seems strange to me. I'm not sure if it makes sense.

Idk a guitarist wrote it so maybe hes not good with words lol

He's got the Bob Dylan Syndrome.  Big Grin
Please translate this:
森先生はいつも丁寧に教えてくれます。
The book translate this as:
Mori-sensei is always a kind and conscientious teacher.

but it doesn't seem right.

And how do you translate this in Japanese?

"Finish all the books that I've started reading!"
森先生はいつも丁寧に教えてくれます。
Mori-sensei (森先生は) always(いつも) teachs me(教えてくれます)ADV-ly.(丁寧に)
So what does the adverb 丁寧に mean here? (hint: not 'politely')

It's this meaning from the dictionary (http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/150309/meaning/m0u/)
1 細かいところまで気を配ること。注意深く入念にすること。また、そのさま。「アイロンを丁寧にかける」「壊れやすいので丁寧に扱う」
rough summary: giving one's attention to even the small details. being contientious and careful.

So 'Mori-sensei is always a kind and conscientious teacher.' doesn't follow the grammar structure of the original Japanese sentence but it's not a bad translation at all. The impression is definitely one of a kind/patient teacher.
Edited: 2017-02-22, 11:03 am
(2017-02-21, 1:42 am)Kanonry Wrote: And how do you translate this in Japanese?

読み始めた本を全部終わりまで読む

or similar.
十代さん : " さらに 罠 発動! 「デス・アンド・リバース」!!

自分のターンのバトルで 通常モンスターが破壊されたとき
相手フィールドのモンスター 1体を 破壊して
破壊された自分のモンスターを 特殊召喚する!

オレが 破壊の対象に選ぶのは 「ブラック・マジシャン」!!

遊戯さん: ならば ボクも 罠 発動! 「シフトチェンジ」!!
このカードの効果で ボクは 「ブラック・マジシャン」への指定を「翻弄するエルフの剣士」に変更!

Please translate
Edited: 2017-02-21, 3:56 am
Jyudai: And I activate a trap: Death and Rebirth!!

When a normal monster is destroyed in battle on your turn→
Destroy one of the monsters on your opponent's field
and special summon the monster of yours that was destroyed!

I choose to destroy Dark Magician!!

Yugi: Then I activate a trap too: Shift!!
With the effect of this card I shift your target from Dark Magician to Obnoxious Celtic Guard!

(Looked up the English card names. Can't be bothered to look up the official English terms for the rules/effects etc. Anyway, this is what it says. Enjoy lol)
Edited: 2017-02-21, 4:13 am
(2017-02-21, 3:53 am)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-02-21, 1:42 am)Kanonry Wrote: And how do you translate this in Japanese?

読み始めた本を全部終わりまで読む

or similar.

So if its a movie, it goes like this?

見て始めた映画を全部終わりまで見る

(Sorry I suck at Japanese, I'm still a beginner)

so based on what you translated, this one here is:

森先生はいつも丁寧に教えてくれます
Mori-sensei always teaches me kindly.
(2017-02-21, 11:08 pm)Kanonry Wrote: So if its a movie, it goes like this?

見て始めた映画を全部終わりまで見る

(Sorry I suck at Japanese, I'm still a beginner)
If you mean "I will watch to the end all the movies I've started watching" (as a sentence) or "Watch all the movies I've started watching" (as a dependent clause) then yes, that works.

Quote:so based on what you translated, this one here is:

森先生はいつも丁寧に教えてくれます
Mori-sensei always teaches me kindly.

I think you missed the point here that 丁寧 can mean carefully or conscientiously.
Also it never means 'kindly' (at least not in any substantial sense, mayyybe you can construct a Japanese and English sentence pair where that's the right translation, but it's a stretch.)

ていねい has two meanings, it either means politely (civilly, courteously) or else it means carefully (conscientiously, carefully, precisely). Don't be confused by their being a dozen English glosses for the word, it only expresses one of two fundamental ideas. The multitude of potential translations is just a list of all the words that fit either of those two feelings if you're speaking in English.

In the above sentence it almost certainly means conscientiously.