Back

Anki Small Questions Thread

(SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

http://forum.koohii.com/search.php

ファブリス Wrote:
Please note that Anki has a dedicated forum at...

http://ankisrs.net/docs/help.html & https://anki.tenderapp.com/

PLEASE USE THESE RESOURCES FOR SOFTWARE SUPPORT.

All technical / troubleshooting Anki topics MUST be posted on Anki's own forums!

Topics about learning with Anki (eg: decks, review schedules and so on) are welcome in
the Learning resources forum.

This isn't a software support forum.

Questions that relate to setting up Japanese flashcards or decks for Anki never get deleted, they are potentially interesting to all Japanese language learners, whether they use Anki or not.

Otherwise unfortunately Anki topics tend to be rather technical and not really helpful even to other Anki users as there seems to be an endless supply of such questions.
This thread is to help maintain the amount of clutter of Anki threads in the Learning resources section. I.e. If your post contains small insignificant questions that don't need their own threads, here is a place where they can all go. Anything related to Anki learning methods, decks, theorycrafting, review schedules, and so on are welcome here.

Technical issues will be deleted without notice!
Edited: 2017-01-06, 8:06 am by ファブリス
Hope this is the right place for this question Smile

Does anyone know if there are any iOS apps (free or paid) that are similar to Yomichan?
As in, you have a text in Japanese and a pop up dictionary that easily lets you make flashcards suitable for Anki.

I tried Midori's flashcard function (I think you can export them to Anki) but at some point I stopped making flashcards on there as it's too slow and bothersome for me :/
I'm using the Japanese Support add-on, which works great for generating furigana in the "Reading" field, when I enter kanji into the "Expression" field.

I want to edit the "Japanese (reading)" note type so it also has an optional space for adding example sentences. This would be a single field that I'd keep on the back of the card. I want to paste a sentence in there and have it generate the furigana automatically. But I'm finding it really difficult to work out how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
@nickoakden

There might be an easier way, but this is what I do:

Write or paste the example sentence into the expression field. Tab to generate readings, then mark all, copy, tab down to the sentence field and paste. Remove what you don't need from the expression and reading fields, and done.

Hope it's useful. Smile
nickoakden, could you post an image or text of what your card formatting looks like, and what fields you have? I can think of a few ways to manipulate this to make it easy on your end, but it's hard to offer something more specific to your needs without seeing exactly what you are telling Anki to do, in respect to card layout.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1899/nitr.jpg

Here it is. I've added the sentence field myself. NijiRanger's technique would work just fine for furiganising the example sentences (thanks!), but it requires a lot of faffing around copying and pasting, particularly if I already have the other fields filled.

It's not a life-or-death problem, but if there's a relatively easy way to do it I thought I might not be the only Anki user interested. Cheers!
Is it possible to merge 2 decks? I have a sentence deck made from genki and a core deck. I would like to merge them. If not can I somehow review both decks at the same time?

Oh, one more thing. Is there a way to hide notes/fields? I don't want to delete the english translations for my core deck but I want them hidden on my cards while reviewing (so I use english translations only when absolutely necessary; I'm trying to do J-J).
ryanjmack Wrote:Is it possible to merge 2 decks? I have a sentence deck made from genki and a core deck. I would like to merge them. If not can I somehow review both decks at the same time?
In the card browser you could move all the cards from one deck into the other. Then delete the empty deck.
RawToast Wrote:
ryanjmack Wrote:Is it possible to merge 2 decks? I have a sentence deck made from genki and a core deck. I would like to merge them. If not can I somehow review both decks at the same time?
In the card browser you could move all the cards from one deck into the other. Then delete the empty deck.
That was easy.... Tongue Do you know how to hide notes on cards by any chance? Thanks for the help RawToast!
ryanjmack Wrote:
RawToast Wrote:
That was easy.... Tongue Do you know how to hide notes on cards by any chance? Thanks for the help RawToast!
I don't know how to do this on the computer version or web version, but on the android version, there's a little circle on the right hand side of each note, and if you tap it, the note is hidden...
What do you mean by "hide notes"? Do you mean hide the field? You can remove it from the template if you don't want to see it, or use the {{hint:myfield}} feature to make a reveal-on-click field.

ktcgx, that button doesn't work that way, and in fact, will be removed in the next version.
From my point of view it isn't good idea to merge two decks with different notes (different fields etc.) because it'll make maintenance quite a mess. IMHO it's better to create empty parent deck and assign your two decks as childs. You can then make reps on parent (cards from both childs) and still have separate decks under it for maintenance or even reps when you decide to continue on only one.
bambi73 Wrote:From my point of view it isn't good idea to merge two decks with different notes (different fields etc.) because it'll make maintenance quite a mess. IMHO it's better to create empty parent deck and assign your two decks as childs. You can then make reps on parent (cards from both childs) and still have separate decks under it for maintenance or even reps when you decide to continue on only one.
Ok that make's sense. I think it would be nice though if there was a button on anki to review all cards across all decks in one shot, instead of separately.

netsplitter Wrote:What do you mean by "hide notes"? Do you mean hide the field? You can remove it from the template if you don't want to see it, or use the {{hint:myfield}} feature to make a reveal-on-click field.
Yeah, I want to hide the english meaning field. I want to do J-J cards, but I did not want to delete the english meanings, so in case of instances where I truly do not understand the sentence I can look at the english meaning.

But I checked out the URL you posted and it was exactly what I'm looking for thanks!
bambi73 Wrote:From my point of view it isn't good idea to merge two decks with different notes (different fields etc.) because it'll make maintenance quite a mess. IMHO it's better to create empty parent deck and assign your two decks as childs. You can then make reps on parent (cards from both childs) and still have separate decks under it for maintenance or even reps when you decide to continue on only one.
I used to do this with decks for Core, Genki, JLPT, Rikaisama, etc vocab.

The only problem here is Anki will do all reviews and new cards from the first deck first, then move on to the second deck. In addition, if your parent decks new card limit is lower than the total of new cards being added to the sub decks then only the top decks will get new cards added to them -- so you have to set the limits for each one carefully.

It really sucks and there is no intention of changing the functionality. For me, I feel it undermines the whole point of subdecks.
RawToast Wrote:I used to do this with decks for Core, Genki, JLPT, Rikaisama, etc vocab.

The only problem here is Anki will do all reviews and new cards from the first deck first, then move on to the second deck. In addition, if your parent decks new card limit is lower than the total of new cards being added to the sub decks then only the top decks will get new cards added to them -- so you have to set the limits for each one carefully.

It really sucks and there is no intention of changing the functionality. For me, I feel it undermines the whole point of subdecks.
Hmm, never noticed it. Maybe because I use it only in quite specific usecase together with addon which automatically moves cards between decks.
It really sucks then, another example where Anki2 doesn't work by "common sense" :-S
I have a really basic newbie question about Anki's SRS.

When I select an answer; such as "hard", "good", or "easy"; I'm shown a number representing days. What does this number mean? If the number, let's say 12d, is shown to me, that can't be the number of days until the card is shown to me again because I have noticed that the same card will appear again in a few days.

Now, when I forget a card and it shows me <1m, that makes sense to me as an indicator of when I will be shown the card again, but not so with the example I previously gave. Is this number perhaps an indicator of how long a card will stay in your memory?
It's supposed to be the time until you see the card again.
There's also a "fuzz" value applied, so it's not exactly 12 days, but give or take a couple.
I have a question.

I am currently using Core 2k/6k to learn the basic vocab and intend to use the textbooks Introduction to Modern Japanese to get a solid base in grammar and vocab as well. I want to make a deck that focuses on Vocab only though. Seeing as how I don't really feel like adding sounds to each card for the vocab word since Core is doing that for me, how should I set up this deck? More importantly is setting up a deck like this going to hurt or help me when using it alongside another vocab deck?

Currently what's made so far, the format for each card looks like this:

Front
信子

Back
のぶこ
(given name)

I would like to make the text size bigger but am not seeing that option.

I only intend to use it to cement the vocab out of the book for the exercises in the workbook. I don't have any intention of using the deck to study grammar. I have Tae Kim for that.
You need to format using HTML.
My vocab cards look like this,
Front:
Code:
{{#TypedAnswer}}
<span style="font-family: MS PMincho ; font-size: 40px; ">
{{furigana:PreContext}}<span style="color: blue;">{{kanji:Reading}}</span>{{furigana:PostContext}}
</span>
<br>
<span style="font-family: MS PMincho ; font-size: 45px; ">
{{type:KanaReading}}
</span>
{{/TypedAnswer}}
Back:
Code:
{{FrontSide}}

<hr id=answer>
<span class=cardback>
<span style="font-family: DFKai-SB; font-size: 30px; ">{{furigana:PreContext}}<span style="color: blue;">{{furigana:Reading}}</span>{{furigana:PostContext}}</span><br><span style="font-size: 16px; ">{{En.Sentence}}</span><br>
<span style="font-family: Microsoft JhengHei; font-size: 30px; color: #550000">{{furigana:VocabularyReading}}</span>{{PitchAccent}}<br><span style="color: #550000">{{furigana:Meaning}}</span><br>

<a  "href=http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=UTF-8&stype=0&dtype=3&p={{text:DictionaryForm}}&oq=">
Dictionary
</a>
<br>

<span style="font-family: System; font-size: 15px; color: #323232">{{furigana:Notes}}</span>
</span>
The result is cards that are, for example,

FRONT
彼女の名前は信子さんです。
(with furigana on mouseover of anything except the term being quizzed.)

The back I can't really type out well, but is,
The same sentence with furigana
The English version of the sentence
The vocabulary term (in dictionary form)
The definition of the term
The 'notes' field for special notes
A link to the dictionary entry for the term (broken since I upgraded to Anki 2, so don't copy that.)

Anyway, my term appears in a different font each time it appears. I find that helps with recognizing characters such that you actually recognize the components and not the shape of the particular font.

Oh, right, and then, in the 'Styling (shared between cards)' section, I have,
Code:
.card {
font-family: arial;
font-size: 20px;
text-align: center;
color: black;
background-color: white;
}

.card1 { background-color: #aaff7f; }
.card2 { background-color: #aaffff; }
.card3 { background-color: #ffbbe0; }
.card4 { background-color: #ffffA0; }

ruby rt { font-size:15px; opacity:0.0; }
ruby rt:hover { opacity:0.5; }

.cardback ruby rt { opacity:1.0; }
(the 'ruby' and 'rt' stuff is the furigana magic).

If you just want to have a bigger font and don't care about the rest of your styling, then you can just change the font is this 'Styling (shared between cards)' section.
Edited: 2013-08-21, 3:13 pm
I have a question, and I hope it's supposed to be here (sorry if it isn't!)

I have an anki deck, but I would like to perhaps export the cards into perhaps a word file (or maybe excel?) or similar, so I can use "find" (ctrl f) to quickly search for kanji I want to check etc...

Is that possible?
ktcgx Wrote:I have a question, and I hope it's supposed to be here (sorry if it isn't!)

I have an anki deck, but I would like to perhaps export the cards into perhaps a word file (or maybe excel?) or similar, so I can use "find" (ctrl f) to quickly search for kanji I want to check etc...

Is that possible?
You can export Notes in Plain Text and then open them in Excel (Excel is IMHO better) as Text file. In import dialog (2/3) choose Tab as delimiter.

Btw what's problem with search directly in Anki? You can limit search to deck or even field, make there simple expressions etc.

P.S. In both cases I'm talking about Anki2, never tried export in old one.
I second bambi73's suggestion. Anki Desktop's search functionality is very powerful, searching an exported file doesn't even compare. Check out this chapter of the manual, there's probably a way to achieve what you want, and much more.
Thanks for the replies!

I kinda wanted to be able to see a big overview of everything as well, I guess.... I really don't know much about anki, I basically started using it for the first time in about March, and really, I don't find it all that easy to use. I've searched for individual kanji and cards and whatnot in anki before, and that's fine sometimes, but yeah, just wondered if it was possible to do it another, slightly more friendlier way for me, way...
^For whatever reasons (probably stupidity) I've never been able to use the Search function in the Anki 2 Browser fruitfully. The original was fine, however even after following exact steps as laid out in the manual, more often than not the search results fail to display results, regardless of the fact that the quoted text, etc. exists within the given field, etc.

Since the discussion is in respect to the desktop client; I have a copy of an already exported text file (currently a libreoffice spreadsheet) sitting on the desktop, waiting to be opened and searched. Almost all changes are done to a copy of said spreadsheet and re imported, anyway (aside template layout changes).

Re-importing from a spreadsheet of the given deck is a lot more user friendly to me, for making alterations (or doing a quick search of the deck for any specifics).

My approach not be very user friendly for you, though. Tongue