Back

Anki Small Questions Thread

afterglowefx Wrote:Is there anyway to increase the font size in the card browser? Kanji are awfully hard to read at size 10, and clicking each card individually to read them is more than a little troublesome!
Select a card, then go to Cards... → More → Browser Appearance → Override font. You can change the font and size in there.
gdaxeman Wrote:Select a card, then go to Cards... → More → Browser Appearance → Override font. You can change the font and size in there.
Awesome, thanks. What an odd place to hide that menu option!
afterglowefx Wrote:Is there anyway to increase the font size in the card browser? Kanji are awfully hard to read at size 10, and clicking each card individually to read them is more than a little troublesome!
Go to one of your cards. Look for the button "Cards."

On the front and back template change the px to what you what.

For example, this is my front template

<div style='font-family: Apple Chancery; font-size: 20px;'>{{Question}}</div>
Change px to whatever you want

*Change your back template's font size as well.

Oops answered already
Edited: 2014-01-30, 11:07 am
JapanesePod101
Thanks regardless, appreciated. It's really improved my card management!
Tried googling but without much success. Here's my situation: I have a sentence deck which I started a long ways back when I initially started studying Japanese. It's got everything from Rosetta Stone Japanese 1 stuff right up to advanced grammar, over 3500 cards in all. What I usually use the deck for these days is reinforcement for problematic Core words.

What I want to do is add a second card type and start doing closed deletions. However, I clearly can't do this for all 3500 cards. I actually only want to do it for a select few (about 150 at the moment). What's the easiest way of creating a closed deletion card for these notes without recreating each one separately?

As I was typing this I wondered if I could make a new card type with a closed delete field, change the desired cards over to that card type, then fill in the closed fields? Or is there an easier method? Any help appreciated!
afterglowefx Wrote:As I was typing this I wondered if I could make a new card type with a closed delete field, change the desired cards over to that card type, then fill in the closed fields? Or is there an easier method? Any help appreciated!
This is the only method that will preserve some of the card history. If I remember correctly the additional clozes (ie. Cloze 2 and beyond) end up as completely new cards. I would do some test conversions on a copy of your collection just so you can see what happens with the review history.

Your only other option is to create brand new cards with no history at all which probably isn't any better than just converting them.
I'm sorry, I promise I've looked for an answer before asking here (though I didn't read every single post of this thread, I used both google and the forum search engine).

I'm doing 2k/6k, but I'm also following a Japanese course.
It would be very convenient for me to be able to "force" anki into let me studying not only the cards he wants me to study, but also those that I've seen during lesson. I'd prefer this to creating a new deck for lesson-vocabulary (since it's probably all already included, with audio and example sentences in this deck).

Is there a way to do so without suspending everything and manually select what I want to study? That wouldn't be a good, since I also want to get my new 40 cards a day like I'm doing now.

[I really hope this is a "small question" and I've just missed a button somewhere I can press to force studying a card]

TL;DR: Studying Vocab with Anki. I want to continue my routine with a core deck, but be able to tell anki "now make me study also this card" when I ancounter a new word from outside anki, regardless of deck order.
Edited: 2014-02-06, 4:18 am
In the card browser, Edit->reposition.
Thank you! I was sure it had to be something stupid :-)
Just wondering what people do if they have extra free time one day and want to study more without the increasing reviews on subsequent days.

I have a routine where I add the same amount of cards every day and finish my reviews along with some filtered deck cramming and I keep a pretty stable workload every day. On most days, I can only find an hour to study, but every once in a while I have 2 or 3 hours I'd like to spend studying. I haven't found a way to make my study time really effective AND keep my reviews from increasing too much. I've tried or thought about the following options:

1. Keep studying the same filtered deck over and over hoping I never forget a card again. - This is my current strategy, but it doesn't seem efficient after seeing the same cards a few times.

2. Add new cards and hope for the best. - I've done this before, but if the workload gets too much AND I find myself with not enough time to clear the reviews, I forget a WHOLE LOT of cards the next few days. So this doesn't seem efficient either.

3. Review ahead. - Seems like a decent idea, but I don't like that Anki doesn't increase the interval.

4. Preview new cards. - I've been thinking of doing this lately. Does anyone have any thing good or bad to say about this?

What do you do?

Thanks,
Adam
Edited: 2014-02-21, 10:24 pm
yogert909 Wrote:Just wondering what people do if they have extra free time one day and want to study more without the increasing reviews on subsequent days.
Sometimes I do the filtered deck thing (reviewing forgotten cards). Sometimes I do reps from my production deck. My main vocab deck is recognition only, see. The production cards are set to a separate deck, and I unsuspend and review words that are leeches (failed 7+ times). Experiment around, I guess?
What I have begun doing is moving away from adding a set number of new cards per day. I finish all my reviews for my decks first, and then add what time allows. That way if I come into some free time like you do occasionally, I can just add more new words. If the reviews are a bit higher the next few days, I add less new cards on those days to account for the new content. I used to add a set number of new new cards first but during Core2k it almost killed me as reviews climbed to near 800 a day.

Now that I am going through Core6k I am trying to keep it balanced at about 500 reviews a day plus 100 to 150 new cards.

In the end this lets you stay productive on days with extra time while allowing you to remain more in control of your workload if time becomes an issue.
Hmm...leeches. That's a good idea anritsi. I might try that. I'll try making a filtered deck which catches just the leeches.

I already do production, vocab and reviewing forgotten cards on a daily basis. I'm hesitant to go messing with leeches right now though - some in my deck have lapsed 12+ times and failing the same cards over and over puts me in mood inconducive to learning..but maybe it's ok every once in a while. I've even considered setting my leech limit lower, so I can concentrate on the easier cards. Who knows, combining leeches with some prelearning and some other things might at least give me more options though..

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try!
afterglowefx Wrote:What I have begun doing is moving away from adding a set number of new cards per day. I finish all my reviews for my decks first, and then add what time allows.
I'm kind of already doing this and it works well. However my job is a little crazy sometimes where I might have a bunch of free time for a few days and then without notice I have almost no time do anything. In those cases when I add a bunch of new cards, I'm setting myself up to get behind in my reviews.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. I get a little crazy when I can't keep up with my reviews, or when I fail a bunch of cards. But maybe I can't have everything.

------
On a side note, You mention that you add 100 to 150 new cards per day. Are you learning vocabulary at this rate? The reason I ask is because I'm doing things a little differently than most people and dove directly into vocabulary without too much kanji. Consequently, there's no way I could get away with 100 new cards per day, even if I had all day to study. I can't imagine anyone could learn that many discreet bits of information in a single day, but others I've seen are posting similar results. I'm curious how many of these new cards contain "new information".
yogert909 Wrote:On a side note, You mention that you add 100 to 150 new cards per day. Are you learning vocabulary at this rate? The reason I ask is because I'm doing things a little differently than most people and dove directly into vocabulary without too much kanji. Consequently, there's no way I could get away with 100 new cards per day, even if I had all day to study. I can't imagine anyone could learn that many discreet bits of information in a single day, but others I've seen are posting similar results. I'm curious how many of these new cards contain "new information".
I understand the way you feel on missing reviews. If I had to choose between risking getting behind and hoping for the best, I would definitely stay on the safe side too. Luckily my job has fixed hours and not too many of them at that!

As to people talking about adding that many cards, I would go ahead and wager that most--like me--are talking about the Core 2000/6000 decks. For every new vocab word there's five cards: 1) listening 2) recognition 3) production 4) sentence listening 5) sentence recognition. My actual new words per day are probably between 40 and 60 as I run a separate sentence deck for miscellaneous vocab and reinforcement of trouble words. 40-60 new words a day is a lot, but bear in mind I have between 6 and 8 hours of study-time a day.

I also started kanji much later in the game than most. You'll eventually start getting frustrated at how similar many kanji are. If you're serious about fluency something like RTK is going to come into play eventually.
yogert909 Wrote:Just wondering what people do if they have extra free time one day and want to study more without the increasing reviews on subsequent days. (...) What do you do?
Reinforce the knowledge by grabbing a manga, (v/l)novel or anime epsidode and understanding as much of it as possible. Effective, much less boring than more srs/textbook study and zero extra reviews (unless you're building a sentence mining deck). Basically, I just dump SRS for the rest of the day as a rule when I'm done reviewing (except for adding new cards) and I'm convinced this approach is more productive than doing more SRS just because you have the time.
afterglowefx Wrote:For every new vocab word there's five cards...40-60 new words a day is a lot, but bear in mind I have between 6 and 8 hours of study-time a day.

I also started kanji much later in the game than most. You'll eventually start getting frustrated at how similar many kanji are. If you're serious about fluency something like RTK is going to come into play eventually.
Ahhh, makes total sense now. I'm only doing vocab right now because conversation is my immediate goal. I've only got about an hour per day, so I'm only adding about 5-6 new words, which works out to around your hourly rate. ..Maybe I'm a little slower because my memory isn't so good.

Btw, I noticed your name ends in efx. You aren't an animator by any chance are you?

Savii Wrote:Reinforce the knowledge by grabbing a manga, (v/l)novel or anime epsidode and understanding as much of it as possible. Effective, much less boring than more srs/textbook study and zero extra reviews (unless you're building a sentence mining deck). Basically, I just dump SRS for the rest of the day as a rule when I'm done reviewing (except for adding new cards) and I'm convinced this approach is more productive than doing more SRS just because you have the time.
That's a great Idea! I've considered that in the past, but I didn't have much vocabulary to speak of then. Now I'm up to 2000+ and maybe I can (try to)read some kid's books or something in my spare time. I'm usually out on the town somewhere, so I do 99% of my studying on my phone, but I don't see what I can't load a book or anime on my phone.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Are all the time boxing options gone from anki 2 or am I just missing them? Seems strange that they would be removed but I've spent ages searching through the manual and the program itself and can find nothing...
Time-boxing:

Tools -> preferences -> basic -> bottom of screen

Unless you're looking for more detailed options, in which case I have no idea.
Thank You!
I give up.

My goal: Sort my vocabulary cards into whatever order so that they are separated by Kanji, hiragana and katakana. With all the katakana vocab grouped together conveniently, I can delete them.

How do I do that?

I tried with Anki desktop on the "Browser" screen. I added a new field at the top (Question) but when I click on Question, it says "Sorting on this column is not supported. Please choose another"

If I try to export a deck, I can only choose the .apkg and .txt files. If exporting to excel/spreadsheet was possible, I know that sorting by vocab is possible in Excel.
I don't have anki on this computer so my names might be a little off but... If you click on the "fields.." button in the browser, click the field you want to sort by, and check the "use as sort column" it will sort by that column.

Suggest not deleting, but suspending cards instead. That way, if you have sentence cards associated with the katakana cards, it won't delete those too. Either way,, you might like to have the katakana there sometime for reading, pronunciation, and not all katakana words are derived from english.
On most katakana words the slightest mistake in pronunciation will leave Japanese wondering what the hell you're talking about. And it's damned easy to forget how to correctly mispronounce your own language.
I'm not sure this is the right place for this question, but what is a good substitute for Anki? I've heard of Memrise and Mnemosyne, but have yet to try them out. My issue is that Anki is a bit too complicated and I don't really understand how it paces the reviews. I'd rather have something which is exactly the same as this site, only I add custom cards instead of RTK cards. Does such a thing exist?
poblequadrat Wrote:I'm not sure this is the right place for this question, but what is a good substitute for Anki? I've heard of Memrise and Mnemosyne, but have yet to try them out. My issue is that Anki is a bit too complicated and I don't really understand how it paces the reviews. I'd rather have something which is exactly the same as this site, only I add custom cards instead of RTK cards. Does such a thing exist?
I haven't spent much time looking at the other SRS applications apart from the built in flashcards on lingq (which are very basic, but requires a monthly sub).

Anki's pacing is pretty simple if you don't mess around with it, to summarise:

* Fail a card and the spacing reduces the card 1 day. You can override this to a percentage in the options, e.g. 25% of the current time.
* Mark a card as 'Hard' and the spacing increases slowly and future 'Good' presses will also be slightly slower. e.g. 2 days to 3 days, or 6 days to 8 days, 1 month to ~40 days.
* Mark a card as 'Good' and the spacing increases normally e.g. 2 days to 4 days, or 6 days to 10 days, 1 month to 2 months.
* Mark a card as 'Easy' and the spacing increases even more, future 'Good' presses will have a higher spacing. e.g. 2 days to 6 days, or 6 days to 12 days, 1 month to 3 months.

Essentially 'Hard' lowers the spacing and 'Good' increases it. Cards have an 'Ease' value (you'll see this in the options) and this is what modifies the spacing. e.g. Pressing 'Good' will increase the 'Ease' value.

Quote:Just wondering what people do if they have extra free time one day and want to study more without the increasing reviews on subsequent days.
I'd use either Review Ahead or Review Forgotten Cards. Review ahead will increase the intervals:

Quote:Anki uses a special algorithm for these reviews that takes into account how early you are reviewing. If the cards were almost due to be shown, they will be given a new delay similar to what they would have received if you had reviewed them on time. If the cards are reviewed soon after they were scheduled however, their new delay will be similar to their previous delay.
Typically I would choose to review ahead for 2-5 days, set the order to 'random' and only review 1/3rd of the cards.