Back

多読 Tadoku Reading Challenge

A big reason I'm not reading as much is because of house renovations and family events. I've been busier than I thought I would be this month.
lordsilent Wrote:
Sizen Wrote:So I'm having trouble staying motivated at this point in tadoku. The past few days I've barely read anything and I don't really understand why. Maybe it's just the last book I started, which doesn't seem quite as interesting as the last ones, but I can't even bring myself to read any of my other books or even the news coming out of E3! My motivation to read has just run out or something, which is a shame because I still have books I really want to read. Sad I guess I'm just going to have to trick myself into reading some more tomorrow.

Anybody else feeling the mid tadoku blues?
This actually seems to happen with most of the top readers. They kind of blow their load on the first half and slow way down or stop for the final half. I get why, but people need to understand we're trying to make a habit so reading a little higher than your normal pace is the way to go. Burning out in the middle or after the contest just makes the whole thing for naught.
The length of the contests makes much more sense now. I always thought they were way too long, but looking at it from this perspective a month seems like a good amount of time. I'll bear that in mind and try participate more consistently from now on.

That being said though, last time I only dropped out of the top group because I ran out of stuff to read. :/
lordsilent Wrote:This actually seems to happen with most of the top readers. They kind of blow their load on the first half and slow way down or stop for the final half. I get why, but people need to understand we're trying to make a habit so reading a little higher than your normal pace is the way to go. Burning out in the middle or after the contest just makes the whole thing for naught.
Slow but steady does the job; just don't go as slow as me Smile

Interested to see how this tier system will work in the future. I am considering after the JLPT to cover Core 6k ASAP and just stick to reading/listening with Tadoku.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Splatted Wrote:That being said though, last time I only dropped out of the top group because I ran out of stuff to read. :/
Yeah, finding enough material for a month is pretty difficult. And finding enough good material for a month is even harder. I've already gone through 3 or 4 duds and am reallllllly hoping to not find anymore. :/
Sometimes my updates don't seem to match up correctly on the graph with the days I posted them. I am in nyc, as my avatar says. Eastern standard time. Will I have until midnight my time on the last day of tadoku to update or should I plan on finishing early? Thanks. This is my first tadoku and I'm enjoying it.
Sizen Wrote:
Splatted Wrote:That being said though, last time I only dropped out of the top group because I ran out of stuff to read. :/
Yeah, finding enough material for a month is pretty difficult. And finding enough good material for a month is even harder. I've already gone through 3 or 4 duds and am reallllllly hoping to not find anymore. :/
I'd say finding enough bad material is pretty easy actually, but yeah, sifting through it for something worth reading is a real pain. Motivating myself to do that is what I really need ReadMOD for. Rolleyes

@Tashippy: It should be calibrated to the timezone of your twitter account.
Oh well I guess my twitter should move back home from Tehran. It's been awhile since the uprising.
Welp. I have a few sort-of-free days until the end of the month. Let's see if I can make top 10. I'm surprised I haven't dropped out of top 20 with 2 weeks of almost no activity =/.
Have IQ84, 人間失格, アナザー、&こころ prepared. And a bit of light manga.

(being on my second murakami book this month, I have to say I'm a bit appalled at the ever-growing amount of sexual vocabulary in my deck. I must have added a few dozen terms by now; does he intentionally try to fit in as diverse of a sex vocab as possible?)
Zgarbas Wrote:Welp. I have a few sort-of-free days until the end of the month. Let's see if I can make top 10. I'm surprised I haven't dropped out of top 20 with 2 weeks of almost no activity =/.
Have IQ84, 人間失格, アナザー、&こころ prepared. And a bit of light manga.

(being on my second murakami book this month, I have to say I'm a bit appalled at the ever-growing amount of sexual vocabulary in my deck. I must have added a few dozen terms by now; does he intentionally try to fit in as diverse of a sex vocab as possible?)
So there is sex quite early in 1Q84 too?
(was thinking of continuing it very soon)
I started from chapter 5, actually Tongue. Started reading it last month, before our teacher decided to drop it from the curriculum, and I had to drop it to focus on the novels for that class. But yeah, pretty early on in mid chapter 5.

I don't think there's a Murakami book that's not filled with sex... I just wasn't expecting his vocabulary to be so... eclectic.
Currently reading Norwegian Wood. Midori is a dirty dirty girl.
Zgarbas Wrote:I started from chapter 5, actually Tongue. Started reading it last month, before our teacher decided to drop it from the curriculum, and I had to drop it to focus on the novels for that class. But yeah, pretty early on in mid chapter 5.

eclectic.
What class is it? Do you read the books in English in class?

So far I have read キチン by 吉本ばなな, きらきらひかる by 江國香織 and now I just started 錦繡 by 宮本輝. They are all great, especially the one I'm reading now, but it's hard to compare because they are just different authors. Has anyone else read Ekuni Kaori? I rather enjoyed the book. There is only one other book with an English translation I could find: God's Boat, but the English book is expensive! (like $30!)
Edited: 2013-06-18, 11:24 pm
Hm, seems if you just count Japanese book reading I'm at #3, not too bad.

I took one of those employment web tests in Japanese today (verbal reasoning etc.). I could barely manage to get through 1/3 of the parts that required Japanese before the time ran out. Luckily I don't care about the results for this particular test but I still have a long way to go... ._. Only like 8 months left till full time hiring season... maybe I'll have to swallow my pride and abuse my foreign-ness and network to get a job after all.
Edited: 2013-06-19, 4:16 am
tashippy Wrote:
Zgarbas Wrote:I started from chapter 5, actually Tongue. Started reading it last month, before our teacher decided to drop it from the curriculum, and I had to drop it to focus on the novels for that class. But yeah, pretty early on in mid chapter 5.

eclectic.
What class is it? Do you read the books in English in class?
Japanese Culture&Civilisation. We had about 27 novels to read, in any language, in 2 months >.<... I read about 3 in Japanese, half in Romanian and half in English.
Running out of stuff to read again... :| Ngyarrr.

dizmox Wrote:maybe I'll have to swallow my pride and abuse my foreign-ness and network to get a job after all.
いつの世も持つべき物は人脈だ。
What kind of net material have you been reading? (to drdunlap and others) Wikipedia and stuff?

I'm reading all the books I can without getting burnt out (40+ pages a day which I intend to maintain indefinitely), but I get the feeling I should be spending my internet time more productively reading Japanese sites, instead of in English. I probably spend (waste) an hour or so a day reading international news sites and other miscellaneous sites with interesting, thought provoking articles, but I haven't found a Japanese equivalent that isn't behind a paywall.

I don't think I want to spend any more time than I am now on discussion forums, so I'd like to avoid sites with questionable Japanese educational value like 2ch and whatnot.
Edited: 2013-06-19, 8:11 am
dizmox Wrote:I'm reading all the books I can without getting burnt out (40+ pages a day which I intend to maintain indefinitely), but I get the feeling I should be spending my internet time more productively reading Japanese sites, instead of in English. I probably spend (waste) an hour or so a day reading international news sites and other miscellaneous sites with interesting, thought provoking articles, but I haven't found a Japanese equivalent that isn't behind a paywall.
I am in a similar boat. I read 41 pages of a novel yesterday and it was tough for me, but I think I'll try to keep it up for good as well. School starts next week for me so we'll see how that goes (school is in English Sad ).
I have had some success with a new tactic: when I sit down at the computer, before I turn it on, I take a moment to say 'What do I need to do on the computer?' Often I'll realize there is nothing important to do and I'll just go do something else. Or I'll realize 'Oh yah, I have to calculate the utilities bill and email that professor, then I need to do Anki'
When I skip this routine I just automatically tab open my BS procrastination news sites and depending on what's there I could end up spending an hour following pointless rabbit holes.
So I guess it's about willpower for me.

@DrDunlap I live near a Book-Off and I think I read slower than you so I don't know what you're going through.
How long do you guys spend on 40 pages? For several months I was just going for 10 pages a day, but recently I've been sometimes jumping to 20/day.
If I'm completely awake maybe 1.5 hours

If I'm sleepy at the end of a hard day I end up slowing down to a crawl and I end up spending over 2 hours
It took me at least three hours to read that much but that includes reading each section in English first. If I don't read the translation first my comprehension is so muddled I can't enjoy it. Normally I don't care, but in Tadoku I wonder if reading it first in English is cheating haha. I read on the train and I keep a bunko in my pocket so I can read a page here a page there, but I make the best progress when I enter a sort of flow and stop looking up words or internally pronouncing words. I have found that if I have time in the morning at home, there are too many distractions available, chores to do. The subway has become my reading room; I'll often miss my stop and won't redirect myself until I finish the current chapter/goal.
dizmox Wrote:Yeah.. I have no way of keeping up. My weekends are just as busy as my weekdays, I only get an hour or two free to read at most.

I wonder how much time other people are spending.
Edited: 2013-06-19, 9:22 am
If you're trying to count pages (from a game, or whatever you read), something like http://www.tothepc.com/archives/count-ke...-keyboard/
Can be quite usefulSmile
I've been reading random stuff on the net. A big chunk was Ghost in the Shell scripts (mm military and political vocabulary put to good use). The Japanese Lifehacker has some good stuff too but every now and then it's obvious that something has been translated from English and the Japanese is a little...
But I also just search online for things that interest me. I've read articles on sociology, philosophy, linguistics, music, etc etc etc.

I also don't read manga very often but I read all of 進撃の巨人. And two novels.
I need to head to the bookstore..
Also this guy's brain is fun to pick.
Especially his 根拠のない自信.

He's a neuroscientist who likes to tweet random things. Some are funny, some are profound. Anyway-- to those looking for interesting reading material. They're all from forever ago but they're fun.
How would one count pages on a big smart phone screen in and Aozora novel in Vertical Text Viewer?

Sounds cool @Zgarbas. Are you the only one in the class who is reading some of the books in Japanese? If the 27 books are already online somewhere could you copy/paste the list? Don't bother typing them out if they're not, that's an unnecessary hassle.
tashippy Wrote:If I don't read the translation first my comprehension is so muddled.
Hmmm It feels like this is already changing from the continuous daily reading Smile