Back

多読 Tadoku Reading Challenge

Now accepting donations of books so I can stop reading Wikipedia. (´・ω・`)ショボーン
drdunlap Wrote:Now accepting donations of books so I can stop reading Wikipedia. (´・ω・`)ショボーン
I presume you've exhausted the books posted by Bounaparte's and on Aozora? I guess you could just read newspapers. I think you and Zgarbas need to do a book swap Wink

Does anyone else mark down time for 'subs' on Tadoku? Is this intended for watching/reading Japanese media with Japanese subtitles? I couldn't find any clarification on the site and don't want to be cheating.
RawToast Wrote:I presume you've exhausted the books posted by Bounaparte and on Aozora? I guess you could just read newspapers.
No? Where are these magical things? Also I guess it depends on whether or not they're things I want to read. Tongue

Also, I'm reading news every day but there's only so much news that I can read without wanting to stab myself with a butter knife. ><

I've turned to Ghost in the Shell scripts until my money situation allows more book purchases. These are kind of fun.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
Not sure how many of these you have already exhausted:

Aozora has lots of older books: http://www.aozora.gr.jp/
Bounaparte/Aya has a lot of resources here: http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...#pid121590
Some of these audiobooks have transcripts, many of which point to Aozora: http://rtkwiki.koohii.com/wiki/Audiobooks
Googling for " 一般小説・TXT詰め合わせ" should also bring up a archive of ~5000 novels in txt format.

At the moment I am giving LR reading a shot. I read and then listened to an audiobook of Doyle's "The Adventure of Black Peter" in English yesterday. Going to move on to the next step tomorrow. I am just too slow of a reader at the moment, but I could follow Tonari no Totoro rather well with Jap subtitles.
RawToast Wrote:
drdunlap Wrote:Now accepting donations of books so I can stop reading Wikipedia. (´・ω・`)ショボーン
I presume you've exhausted the books posted by Bounaparte's and on Aozora? I guess you could just read newspapers. I think you and Zgarbas need to do a book swap Wink

Does anyone else mark down time for 'subs' on Tadoku? Is this intended for watching/reading Japanese media with Japanese subtitles? I couldn't find any clarification on the site and don't want to be cheating.
I agree Aozora is a vast reading resource. But if you want other resources, these are what I use for tadoku:

Japanese National Geographic: http://nationalgeographic.jp/nng/index.shtml
Lots to read and visually appealing Smile

Hukumusume (Fairy Tales): http://hukumusume.com/douwa/
Some have audio and there are western fairy tales (like Snow White) in Japanese too

Recipe sites

http://cookpad.com/

http://www.bob-an.com/

Overall, if you run out of material to read, try to look for topics you're interested in but in Japanese. Like hobbies. Mine is obviously cooking/food. I bet there are a ton of resources of your hobbies too ^^

@RawToast: here is some info regarding tracking subs for tadoku

Quote:#subs : 0.2 ppm (points per minute)

The bot will now take subs submitted just like the other format. ex.
“@TadokuBot 170 #subs”
Or if all else fails
Quote:What counts as a net page?
For those of us reading Japanese finding out our page count from text is as easy as copying the text into word and dividing the word/character count by 400. The rest of you however will have to estimate based on the length of the passage. If its short its best to just count the sentences.
This I personally confirmed with @LordSilent himself via twitter of course.
Edited: 2013-06-13, 11:14 am
Finished S&W volume 5.... 12 volumes to go D:
For random wiki readings xD save as a bookmark (or homepage if you really like it!). Another interesting reading resource.

http://jp.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Randompage
So I'm having trouble staying motivated at this point in tadoku. The past few days I've barely read anything and I don't really understand why. Maybe it's just the last book I started, which doesn't seem quite as interesting as the last ones, but I can't even bring myself to read any of my other books or even the news coming out of E3! My motivation to read has just run out or something, which is a shame because I still have books I really want to read. Sad I guess I'm just going to have to trick myself into reading some more tomorrow.

Anybody else feeling the mid tadoku blues?
No. I sometimes wish I could keep reading but I'm too tired or I have some other stuff I have to do, but when I have time and energy I am super motivated to read. It's motivating to me that I can read faster now than two weeks ago.
Maybe you should try to be more competitive. I changed from focusing on my end goal of x number of pages and now focus on moving up one or two spots in the ranking.
But Sizen, I think you've posted in three different threads about how you either feel motivated, need motivation, or are worried that your motivation will pitter out like it did with video games. Perhaps you are in a hurry, but you won't become fluent over night, and you must learn to enjoy the journey and do a little bit every day just to keep it in your head if you are not able to motivate yourself enough to read a crazy amount. Just keep watering the flowers, so to speak. Don't drown them or neglect them. http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...#pid190505
I suffer from tiredness a lot too, my reading speed is like 3x slower at the end of the day.
tiredness何それ美味しいの食べれんのーヽ(=´▽`=)ノ
My pace is quite slow as well. But then again, I set a modest goal so I'm not too worried I'll reach it. All that matters to me is that I read more than I usually do & learn in the process.

I'm not trying to reach top charts (though I would like to get out of the 100+ category xD) or anything. I rather take the "slow an steady" approach. No burnout this way IMO.
I haven't read anything non-thesis, non-exam lately, and probably won't to the end of the month. A shame Sad
tashippy Wrote:But Sizen, I think you've posted in three different threads about how you either feel motivated, need motivation, or are worried that your motivation will pitter out like it did with video games. Perhaps you are in a hurry,
I don't remember those posts, but you're probably right. I used to be pretty bad with the whole learning process and I was over worried about everything. I was also over confident for a while, trying to study 6 languages at once, thinking i would succeed no problem, but for at least a year now, maybe a bit less, I've been able to keep myself motivated and concentrated on one language. I've just been enjoying myself as I slowly improve.

tashippy Wrote:Just keep watering the flowers, so to speak. Don't drown them or neglect them.
I think this is where it's at. I think I've just been pushing too hard throughout this tadoku. I wanted to do much better than last time, and I have the time to do it, but I think my last result might be my current limit and I shouldn't be trying too hard to completely obliterate it. Just one up by a little.

Anyway, I guess I wasn't so much looking for an answer but just checking to see how other people are handling the first half of tadoku.

drdunlap Wrote:tiredness何それ美味しいの食べれんの
If you toss it in a salad with a bit of physical exhaustion it's just exquisite.
Edited: 2013-06-14, 1:35 pm
Sizen Wrote:Anyway, I guess I wasn't so much looking for an answer but just checking to see how other people are handling the first half of tadoku.
The first half is going okay for me. I'm a little nervous though. I'm starting grad school on the 24th. I want to read my textbooks before classes start, so I'll be cutting back on Japanese reading quite a bit. Sad Is there a thread somewhere about succeeding in school without scaling back Japanese studies too much?
tashippy Wrote:
Sizen Wrote:Anyway, I guess I wasn't so much looking for an answer but just checking to see how other people are handling the first half of tadoku.
The first half is going okay for me. I'm a little nervous though. I'm starting grad school on the 24th. I want to read my textbooks before classes start, so I'll be cutting back on Japanese reading quite a bit. Sad Is there a thread somewhere about succeeding in school without scaling back Japanese studies too much?
I'd like to know as well, since I'm trying to juggle school, work, and Japanese. Because of this, I'm not doing as well for Tadoku as I'd hoped.

What I'd suggest though, is to print some NHK articles that interest you and take them to work with you to read during break, if you get one, and to school for reading during any spare time you can find (I know how it is though, you're generally focused on school work when you're between classes).

Also, since my college is so far away from my home, I leave early to make sure I won't catch traffic. Since I'm usually almost an hour early, I take my tablet with me so that I can do my Anki reps and a little reading before class starts. Tablets are pretty cheap now, so if you don't have one, I suggest getting one if you're on the go a lot.
sholum Wrote:Also, since my college is so far away from my home, I leave early to make sure I won't catch traffic. Since I'm usually almost an hour early, I take my tablet with me so that I can do my Anki reps and a little reading before class starts. Tablets are pretty cheap now, so if you don't have one, I suggest getting one if you're on the go a lot.
I have a Nexus 7 that I use mostly to watch drama and anime while I'm cooking etc. I was doing Anki reviews on my smart phone all this time, but actually that's fallen to the wayside ever since starting Tadoku. I don't regret it though. I have found that if I just read a lot of manga, I'll learn the pronunciation for words I see in novels. For obscure kanji words, the novels usually have furigana anyway. I think I'll revamp how I use Anki over the next couple months to suit my interests. Smile
tashippy Wrote:I have a Nexus 7 that I use mostly to watch drama and anime while I'm cooking etc. I was doing Anki reviews on my smart phone all this time, but actually that's fallen to the wayside ever since starting Tadoku. I don't regret it though. I have found that if I just read a lot of manga, I'll learn the pronunciation for words I see in novels. For obscure kanji words, the novels usually have furigana anyway. I think I'll revamp how I use Anki over the next couple months to suit my interests. Smile
Yeah, I don't do as much Anki as I used to, since it's not the most flexible system in the world (you miss a day or two and...). I try to keep it around a hundred reviews per day without using the limit function. It's mostly there to add some systematic vocabulary on top of randomly encountering words, like 糖尿病, while reading the news or something.
Edited: 2013-06-15, 11:05 pm
Sizen Wrote:So I'm having trouble staying motivated at this point in tadoku. The past few days I've barely read anything and I don't really understand why. Maybe it's just the last book I started, which doesn't seem quite as interesting as the last ones, but I can't even bring myself to read any of my other books or even the news coming out of E3! My motivation to read has just run out or something, which is a shame because I still have books I really want to read. Sad I guess I'm just going to have to trick myself into reading some more tomorrow.

Anybody else feeling the mid tadoku blues?
This actually seems to happen with most of the top readers. They kind of blow their load on the first half and slow way down or stop for the final half. I get why, but people need to understand we're trying to make a habit so reading a little higher than your normal pace is the way to go. Burning out in the middle or after the contest just makes the whole thing for naught.
Well if they make a habit of reading 1000-2000 pages at the start of every month that seems like a reasonable strategy
dizmox Wrote:Well if they make a habit of reading 1000-2000 pages at the start of every month that seems like a reasonable strategy
Busting straight there without working up steadily will just lead to burn out.
Edited: 2013-06-16, 3:23 am
If they recover from their burnout as fast as they reached it then there's no problem though. They're obviously capable enough learners if they're capable of reading 100+ pages a day.
I'm just telling you what I have observed over 3 years of running these things. Not burning out in the first place is definitely better than having to recover from it.
Edited: 2013-06-16, 3:48 am
Reading "Fight Club" in English right now, but is it available in Japanese, too? Tyler is just awesome XD
Tori-kun Wrote:Reading "Fight Club" in English right now, but is it available in Japanese, too? Tyler is just awesome XD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%95%E3%82%...9%E3%83%96

or

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%95%E3%82%...9%E3%83%96
Edited: 2013-06-16, 4:47 am