Back

多読 Tadoku Reading Challenge

I powered through the last 50 pages of 掟上今日子の備忘録 today, and my eyes are throbbing. Now starting 偽物語(下). Basically, to meet my Tadoku goal, I need to get through this and at least one other book by month's end. Oy vey...
I feel terrible. Wasn't able to participate in the challenge at all due to busy personal reasons. Sad
That's too bad RawrPk, but there's always next time; no need to feel bad about it.
Next one is a half-round in March (from the 15th) and the next full round is in June. Hopefully you won't be so busy by then!

I need to update with all the subs I've been using.
Been watching Blue Exorcist; don't know if it was the effects of all night marathoning or the actual series, but there have been some good feels in between all the action; doesn't live up to the hype people have been giving it, but it's definitely a good, enjoyable series. As for whether I can finish it before this nasty storm starts up again or not...

Haven't been reading much in the past week or so; a bit of gaming, a bit of manga, but not the fifty to a hundred page binges of webnovels that I started out with. Only need to get about a hundred or so more pages after I put in the subs for the entirety of Blue Exorcist (I cut it at twenty minutes per episode), so I'll definitely be meeting my revised 1000 page goal. After this round ends, I'll post a graph of my scores for as far back as I can get them. I'm hoping it'll be a bit inspirational to people just starting to read to see someone else go from reading almost nothing to 1000+ pages in a month.

I won't feel bad about using the subs tag this time either, because I forgot to check how many episodes of Hyouka I'd watched after the contest started; pretty sure it was more than half of them, but since I can't remember I didn't enter them. So I think I've effectively nerfed the subs tag by a third.

Speaking of subs, I got them working correctly in VLC, but the subs I have are apparently straight from the TV broadcast (thirty to fifty second delay at the beginning and about a two minute delay half way through), so I end up having to delay them twice per episode, which sometimes causes VLC to freeze or crash... It's definitely better than not having them for some series, but it's a pain... Hopefully won't need them after this year, since I can mostly follow a show without them, but I miss details at times.
JapanesePod101
I'm clinging on to the 10-20 ranking bracket by my fingernails. Hoping to stay there through the end.

I still feel like there are a wretched number of unfamiliar words in what I read, but in the beginning of the month I was struggling to finish 20 or 30 (novel) pages and now I'm routinely reading 80-90 in an evening, so, not bad. I hope I can keep reading at a similar pace after the contest ends.

(The goal I originally set myself was 60 pages. I thought "Surely I can read two pages a night?" I don't think I'll make 1000, but I'm well over 600 now.)
(2017-01-22, 8:19 pm)tanaquil Wrote: I still feel like there are a wretched number of unfamiliar words in what I read, but in the beginning of the month I was struggling to finish 20 or 30 (novel) pages and now I'm routinely reading 80-90 in an evening, so, not bad. I hope I can keep reading at a similar pace after the contest ends.

Nice!

I started on a book that was more n+2 level for me than n+1. Mid-month, I happened across the latest 東野圭吾 at Kinokuniya, and surprised myself when I finished it in about five days. I was shocked to find that my reading at this level had gotten so fast and fluid.

I'm about to finish レイクサイド, hopefully tonight if all goes well. The long and the short of it is, I think I handicapped myself considerably for about 10 days reading something that was too difficult. A lesson to carry over to the *next* Tadoku.
For anyone else that wants to go back to look at their previous scores between now and October of 2014, the old rankings use the following format (the two years prior to 2014 that don't have drop down menus are completely missing from the site though; thankfully, I don't need them):
Code:
readmod.com/rounds/yyyymm

I haven't checked every month yet, but I did check a couple and they're still there even though they aren't available from the menu, so hopefully that's true for all of them.

EDIT:
Decided to play around in MATLAB instead of working on my writing assignments for my tutor, homework, watching more anime, or reading... Well, I guess playing in MATLAB is useful for my school work, but... Anyway, made my Tadoku graph; it's also posted in my shiny new study log thread (shameless plug)... which was also some odd form of procrastination that even affects the things I want to do.
[Image: TadokuPlot201610_zps7t0ya0wm.png]
Not that anyone would actually need it (I mean, I could have just used a spreadsheet program), but I can clean up the code a bit and share it if anyone's interested in making a graph in the same style (might also run in Octave, which is free).
Edited: 2017-01-23, 2:49 am
How'd everyone do this round?

I doubled my initial goal of 500 and just squeaked past my revised goal of 1000 (could have read more, but real life doesn't agree with spending large chunks of the day reading).
Final placement: 10th place with 1042.44 pages! Now that I have all my previous scores in front of me, I can say with certainty that this is the most I've ever read in a month!

I recorded my time twice, but not with an article, so it's not the best comparison:
Three chapters of 無職転生 (thanks for the recommendation, whoever that was!) in three hours: 150 characters per minute
One chapter of 無職転生 in 23 minutes: 185 characters per minute.

Good game, everyone! Let's do our best again in March for the half round!
Edited: 2017-02-01, 12:15 pm
Eh. I beat my goal of 1,000 pages and ended up 7th at 1,288. About 700 pages lower than my June score of 1,988. As with you, sholum, that "real life" thing kept hasslin' me.

I think I'd find it hard to do 2,000 pages again unless I'm traveling, and January was a no-travel month for me.
I read around 800 pages. The page number counting thing isn't really accurate because depending on the book it'll be full of text and other ones aren't as dense. Like everyone said real life stuff like working full time takes away time but sometimes having structure enables one to be more productive. Like every round I could have read more but I read for enjoyment and I have other stuff to get enjoyment from like tv (Japanese and English) so I'm satisfied with the outcome. Also it's  impossible to not finish watching breaking bad in a timely manner when you have Netflix.

Out of the three books I read I enjoyed all of them. If I had to rate them they would be 3/5,4/5 and 4/5
Edited: 2017-02-01, 4:45 pm
I squeaked past 1000 and ended up at #12, yay. Pretty happy with that. (But #11 beat me by one page. ONE PAGE! I should have stayed up later.)

I didn't expect to read anywhere near that much, so I need to keep a reading journal from now on and remind myself that it's really not that hard to do when I make time for it and don't let myself get discouraged. Thanks for playing, everyone.
Round 1.5 (March 15th - 31st) is upon us! I've registered for the mini round with a humble 200 pages.

I've "acquired" some manga for fun reading and trying to squeeze in some articles to fix things up.

Will anyone else be joining me in the mini round? Big Grin
Oh crap! Thanks for the heads up. I am torn... March 20-30 is going to be sheer hell at work. But March 10-20 is spring break. Should I register??

Good luck, all competitors!
Yeah, I'll be there like always! Spring break will coincide with the last five days of the challenge, so I'll be able to read as much as I want then!

@tanaquil
Go for it! I register whether I think I'll have time or not, and I always managed to get some reading in; it's such a motivation booster.
(2017-03-09, 9:47 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Oh crap! Thanks for the heads up. I am torn... March 20-30 is going to be sheer hell at work. But March 10-20 is spring break. Should I register??

Good luck, all competitors!
I always register regardless. You never know when you can squeeze a reading session or 2.
I'll be in Tokyo most of this time and busy with work and family, so I'm out. Rock on, everyone!!
Got round to registering a twitter account so I can sign up for this next round...
I don't think I'll sign up this round. Some of my reading sources(mainly games) right now don't have pages to count and I don't want to worry about it. Also I'm already signed up for 3 learning challenges currently ^^;
(2017-03-12, 3:12 pm)yukamina Wrote: I don't think I'll sign up this round. Some of my reading sources(mainly games) right now don't have pages to count  and I don't want to worry about it. Also I'm already signed up for 3 learning challenges currently ^^;

Well if you change your mind, games can be counted for tadoku:

Quote:[1] : “Fullgames” are visual novels where text covers the whole screen.  Example
[2] : That’s (1/6)th a page
[3] :”Games” tag is for visual novels that display text inside a text box. Example (If you are playing a game that isn’t as text heavy please count the sentences and adjust them to games for submission.)

Good luck on your other challenges! Big Grin
@RawrPk There's no way I'm counting sentences while I play games Tongue I'd rather just enjoy it and miss out on pages read.
How do you guys count pages for books that you read online? i.e. something from the Aozora Bunko

It says one webpage is worth 1 book page but these a quite a bit more wordy than your average blog or 2ch thread so that doesn't seem to be an exactly fair conversion.

edit: I'm a doofus. I didn't see that word counting thing lol Happy reading Ladies and Gents!
Edited: 2017-03-14, 1:39 am
I'm in with a humble 300 page goal. I may raise my sights but I'm expecting to be busy so I also may not.

For some reason my avatar isn't showing up. I changed my Twitter avatar since the last round but I can't see why it wouldn't show up.

Happy to have an excuse to read!
I didn't really mean to participate but ended up reading 2.5 books already. Not having internet at home is making me read instead of browsing youtube.
Well, I reached the goal I set (850 pages, which is just derived from the long-term goal I have of reading 50 pages a day for the rest of the year). That covers:
* the second half of Spice&Wolf volume 10
* the 7th and last book in the ビブリア古書堂 series
* 本所深川ふしぎ草紙 (a set of short stories by Miyuki Miyabe, crime fiction set in the Edo period)
* and just starting in on 渡された場面 (crime fiction, Seicho Matsumoto)

Should be able to make it to 1000 pages by the end of the round.
Only a tenth of the way to my goal of 500 so far, but I don't have any classes next week, so I'll have tons of time to read! I just have to get 65 pages a day for the rest of the contest, which is doable.
The last ten pages of 渡された場面 turned out to be a transcript of a police interview written in kanji-and-katakana (no hiragana, katakana everywhere that normal text uses hiragana). I feel like I should get double points for having to struggle through that :-)

(It's not that I have trouble recognizing individual katakana, it's just that I can't flowingly read ソウイウコトハナカッタト思イマス the way I can the hiragana version.)
Edited: 2017-03-27, 2:31 am