Back

AJATT, Core, SRS, RT... learning methods

^ Spaced *Repetition System
/nitpick

AJATT is (or was, haven't looked at it in a while) okay as a motivational blog, and there are some good tips hidden in there, but from experience, I'd say time studying > time reading any motivational blogs / not learning material (this includes sites like Tofugu as well).

The main use I got out of RTK was improving my ability to 'see' kanji (I'm not learning to write kanji with RTK). Prior to looking through it and doing a recognition deck of it (kanji -> keyword), I had a lot of trouble distinguishing kanji, even ones that look completely different to me now. However, I don't see the point of learning to write kanji in the early stages unless you need to (or if writing helps you learn vocabulary), so I suggest picking it up at the library instead of buying it.

I suggest using a deck like Core2k/6k/10k, Nayr's Core5000, or Zarxrax's Anime2k (which is based off of a corpus of subtitles from anime and dramas, and so is quite different from the newspaper oriented Core decks; however, it's still in development).
I personally did Core10k, but it's quite dry stuff; I still review it, but have also started making my own deck from words I find in the things I read.
It's perfectly possible to start your own deck from the beginning, but I highly recommend using a premade deck to start off with, even if it's only for the first 2000 words or so, just to keep yourself sane (looking up every word in something you read is painful, and painful things lead to burnout).
Edited: 2017-04-18, 8:32 pm

Messages In This Thread
RE: AJATT, Core, SRS, RT... learning methods - by sholum - 2017-04-18, 8:31 pm