Back

Kanji Koohii is OpenSource

Bumpity Bump

I will make a (more formal) announcement soon that I am taking a backseat so to speak and no longer making significant developments myself. (after I switch to HTTPS).

Please pass the word about the project; I am 100% available as a project maintainer and on Gitter to help php / front end dev setting up and contributing.

https://github.com/fabd/kanji-koohii

Yes, it's not the prettiest / modern codebase, but it's maintainable (imho). This is an active site with thousands of users. At least a few hundred active SRS users as well. Improving the UX and fixing bugs makes a difference.

I wouldn't say this is a good project to learn modern php, but there's no reason why you can't write good php either. THe main downside is that it runs the old Symfony 1.x.

The database layer is custom, but it's very functional AFAIK. The API is very similar to the Zend_Db one. And there's no need to try to figure out everything at once, you can just write a single string query with quoted params like ->query("select foo, bar where id = ?", $id) and that's securely escaped, and you (or I) can always pretty things up later.

I started documenting but put it on hold until I see some interest. This takes time and I'd like to see some minimal interest. I have a bunch of docs already they were running on another Symfony 1.x app so I figured it was better converting them to an online, easily maintainable format.

There are quite a few help-wanted issues which I labelled because they are medium to low complexity. In fact a couple ones recently I could have done in a few days so it's annoying but if I don't put them there, then I don't have tasks for new contributors as the other stuff tends to involved refactoring bits and pieces.

Note as such, I will update Patreon eventually, which will continue to cover the web hosting / https cert costs.

If you have any questions about the project just ask here or Gitter.

PS: basically I need to learn new things. I also want to reconnect to my roots as game dev and in general programming with compiled languages. So plan is to learn iOS dev over the summer 5-6 months while I am unemployed. Maybe have fun making a small game as a side project. Which is precisely why I am available during the coming months to help anybody set up the code and contribute.
Edited: 2017-04-20, 10:39 am

Messages In This Thread
Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by ファブリス - 2017-03-23, 12:44 pm
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by faneca - 2017-03-23, 1:35 pm
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by wareya - 2017-03-25, 6:30 am
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by wareya - 2017-03-25, 9:17 am
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by faneca - 2017-03-26, 4:32 pm
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by faneca - 2017-03-29, 10:08 am
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by porukkusu - 2017-03-31, 8:01 pm
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by faneca - 2017-04-01, 2:44 am
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by pm215 - 2017-04-02, 5:31 am
RE: Kanji Koohii is OpenSource - by pm215 - 2017-04-02, 7:23 am