Back

Returning to kanji.koohii.com after some time

Last year, in preparation for the JLPT N2, I decided to learn all the Jouyou kanji using RTK and this site. That worked fine. I did the initial learning in around 6 weeks of full-time study and then worked to get all the kanji into the 5+ boxes at a slower rate while I did other study that I needed for the test.

I haven't kept up with revision on the site in the period between mid-November last year and around the start of March this year. As a result, I've got a backlog of around 1,000 kanji to review. While I would like to get back to using this site as part of my daily revision routine, I've got various problems:

• the sheer size of the backlog
  • I want to scale back and primarily only study JLPT N5-N2 (and maybe N1) kanji (I failed the N2 by two points, so I want to take it again): I'd like to be able to defer or ignore the non-relevant kanji
  • my growing dislike of a lot of the keywords that Heisig uses
  • not being sure whether continuing with koohii is the right thing to do (keyword issues, and no way to learn readings and vocab in an integrated way)
  • general forgetfulness (after moving to a more vocab/reading-based approach, it's harder to trigger keyword-to-writing memory)
Although it's not needed for the JLPT, I do want to continue to be able to write kanji correctly so I do think that koohii can help with that. However, I don't want to spend an excessive amount of time trying to get back up to speed on the relevant kanji or doing a lot of housekeeping tasks like manually removing a lot of non-JLPT kanji or modifying keywords so that they show the JLPT level.

It's also quite frustrating having to deal with poor or opaque keyword choices, eg:
  • various ways to say "I" in Japanese: keywords like "private", "myself", "me" would be better as "I (neutral/private)", "I (young male)", and "I (coarse male)" or whatever, and "I" itself should be "I (numeral)"
  • demolish (壊) vs break (毀). The first kanji is a lot more useful, so it should map to the more common keyword "break (demolish)"
  • conceal (隠) vs hide (匿). The first kanji is a lot more useful, so it should map to the more common keyword "to hide (conceal)"
  • many other groups of synonyms and near-synonyms among English keywords
  • many English keywords that have multiple senses, only some of which apply in Japanese (eg, determine, recess, present)
  • no unified approach for kanji that render verbs like きく、さがす、みる、かく with different nuances
  • other minor improvements ("lightning bug" -> "firefly", "decameron" -> "tenday", 
  • opaque humble and honorific-style keywords (speaketh, doth, "do", "re-", etc.)
Then there's lack of integration with other aspects of learning Japanese. Specifically, learning kanji and vocab readings seems to be quite divorced from koohii's core feature, namely helping to learn and reinforce the keyword-to-writing part.

So, anyway, I'm just throwing this out there. How have other people dealt with these kinds of problems? Have you managed to get back into using koohii after an extended absence? How have you dealt with the backlog? Have you managed to come up with a more integrated approach (including writing, readings and vocab) that still uses koohii? Or should I just not bother keeping up with koohii and transition to other tools like Anki?

Any advice or experiences you'd care to share would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Returning to kanji.koohii.com after some time - by declan - 2017-03-16, 1:16 pm