Back

Wrestling with the Readings

(2017-03-17, 6:26 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Thanks for answering.

Yea, more like a paragraph or more.  To tell the truth, single sentences are getting a little boring and something about them seems like getting more context would be helpful.  For instance, when I am reading something longer, I know a lot of things that make the sentences easier to parse.  And often words are re-used a few times, so I can say oh there's that word I just looked up and get extra practice reading it without looking it up again.  I feel like the extra context helps with better understanding of  individual sentences and words and that makes learning more efficient.  In other words, there are some sentences in core, which I am sure I would pass if I were reading them in the middle of a news article, but I end up failing.  I feel like that's inefficient and any trick that I can do to increase comprehension is increasing my learning speed.

The problem is finding material which has a good density of words that need reinforcement but not too many (i.e. n+1).  And also making sure I reinforce words that I've looked up.  So far I've found re-reading the same material a few times is helping a lot with reinforcing semi-known words, increasing comprehension and noticing grammar patterns.  Reading a manga series would also be good, but look-ups are harder because not e-text.  I've been going through the japanese pod 101 material because it's graded by difficulty which has been ensuring I don't read things too easy or too hard.

But I have been mulling over other methods and materials.  Subs2srs seems like a good route to go.  I'm thinking of following nukemarine's subs2srs advice of studying in 4 minute chunks and then listening to the audio and re-watching the episode.  This has a lot in common with what I'm doing with jpod101 except the the material is more enjoyable.

I like the idea you mentioned of putting larger intervals between vocab cards.  I think that's a good idea because hopefully you are reinforcing those words through reading.  It allows you more time for reading which is always a good thing.

>The problem is finding material which has a good density of words that need reinforcement but not too many

I feel like I might know what your problem is. I think you could find something interesting, like an anime or something, and use text analysis to start learning those useful words, if you're doing mostly core sentences right now. Core stuff stops being high frequency after like 1000 or so, when it comes to the fun material.
Maybe if you text analysis could help, like through using the Japanese Text Analysis tool. I used that in order to get to a high-ish % word usage comprehension in VNs (93% in a bunch of VNs). I actually just grinded out a ton of words before I started reading. Looking up 1/10 words instead of 1/4 is a huge difference. With text analysis, it's actually pretty easy to mass grab the top words you don't know form a source. Epwing2Anki and Japanese Text Analysis Tool are your friends for auto-generating flash cards.

Sub2srs + MorphMan is really fun, actually.
You generally learn common words because of how the algorithm works, and even if you don't, you get a useful sentence in context, and can improve your comprehension quickly.

Manga I feel like just isn't efficient to read until you know a high % of the words, so I'm doing Hunter x Hunter with sub2srs instead of reading my physical volumes.

The thing about "failing a core sentence card out of context, that you'd probably understand in context" might be part of how you have to grade your testing. You try to understand the sentence as well, literally, as you can, and be lenient with the context. If a card is so crap that you could read all the words but have to fail it due to lack of context, you might have to delete the card. Maybe there's some grammar that could be learned/revised, though? (taking a guess here, not sure)
Edited: 2017-03-18, 12:44 am

Messages In This Thread
Wrestling with the Readings - by fakepearbear - 2017-03-12, 9:28 pm
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by phil321 - 2017-03-12, 11:05 pm
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by sholum - 2017-03-12, 11:07 pm
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by tanaquil - 2017-03-12, 11:07 pm
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by theadamie - 2017-03-15, 12:22 am
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by tanaquil - 2017-03-15, 10:28 am
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by fkb9g - 2017-03-17, 4:25 pm
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by tanaquil - 2017-03-17, 8:53 pm
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by deign - 2017-03-13, 3:46 am
RE: Wrestling with the Readings - by pm215 - 2017-03-13, 10:23 am